Sep 14, 2008

LINT, LINT GO AWAY

One of my major household peeves is lint, especially in clothing. Nothing is more pesky than finding most of my favorite clothes lint-infested. Worse is when a newly-purchased sweater pills after one wear. The lack of remedy is not much of a comfort. I've tried using lint rollers, lint sheets, and even shavers, all to no avail.

I read somewhere that friction is one reason why some clothes pill. Then there are claims of improper use of washing machine like loading too much clothes causing them to crowd on each other hence not rinsing properly; using powder instead of liquid detergent; or not cleaning the lint filter regularly: all causing lints. I've also heard that "infected" articles should be separated from the others because they're at risk of "contamination." Except for shifting to liquid detergent, I've already taken all the precautions. I've even resorted to handwashing but still, they didn't keep the lints at bay.

Would anyone have more effective solutions or preventive measures?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried turning the clothes inside out before putting them into the washer? I also use several laundry nets (sort according to fabric). I can't say the plan's 100% lint-proof but there was an improvement.

Girl Interrupted said...

I don't turn clothes inside out, mainly because I'm lazy, hehe. But I'll try and see if it works. About laundry nets, I only use them for delicates so maybe I'm also missing something here. Hay, mahirap ang buhay labandera.

Anonymous said...

Try fabric softener sheets to reduce static, it might help too. I suspect its because of weather, we dont have lint problems in the philippines.

Anonymous said...

You could try the suggestions in this site:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/393130/tips_for_removing_lint_and_fuzz_balls.html

Girl Interrupted said...

Hi, anonymous. Thanks for the link. I have yet to try using pumice stones. Hope they work wonders.