Sep 23, 2008

The Devil Wears Prada...and Sunglasses


Anna Wintour — WTF?
by Joel Stein
http://time-blog.com/live/2008/09/anna_wintour_wtf.html

I knew she was the fashion lady with the sunglasses who apparently is a lot like the devil and enjoys Prada. That much I knew.


What I did not know is that she's absolutely crazy.

I've seen her at just about every event I've been to for three days and I offer this as evidence of her insanity:

Fact one: She wears sunglasses all the time. The lights during fashion shows are not that bright. Wearing sunglasses inside is just weird.

Fact two: As soon as a show ends, she runs as fast as she can for the door as if there were a giant delicious chocolate cake right outside and she was a person who would eat cake. I don't know if this is supposed to imply that she's super-important and another show is waiting to start until she gets there, or that she's super-important and can't stay and talk.

Fact three: She has bodyguards. I've interviewed a lot of celebrities and you know who has bodyguards? Nobody. Not Jessica Simpson, not George Clooney, not Leonardo DiCaprio.

I walked up to one of the bodyguards and asked him if she indeed has two bodyguards. "At least," he said. He was a pretty big guy and seemed amused by his stupid assignment, so I asked him if he could handle a client who needs bodyguarding a little more than Anna Wintour. "I think so," he said. "I have."

I asked everyone why Anna Wintour would need a bodyguard and someone mentioned that PETA threw paint at her once. So I asked Lisa Lange, senior vice-president of PETA if she was the reason Anna Wintour has a bodyguard. "I think she has them because she supports cruelty to animals and as a result has been the focus of protests, but I think she also has them because she's a wretched person who's made herself very unpopular in many circles."


I don't know about that. And for all I know she has a stalker and is claustrophic and has some weird condition where she's sensitive to light. I just know it all comes off as really weird.

Still, I like that she publishes Jeffrey Steingarten.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So like a man.

Fact one: The Wintour, who kept the 60s bob probably for the same reasons Edith Head kept the pageboy/upswept hairdo, does have an eyesight problem. The dark glasses help with indoor lighting gear and flashbulbs.

Fact two: I suppose she runs out of the places to avoid throngs of media and general public.

Fact three: I really don't get the comparisons... my George is a teddy bear. Leo is a kitten. Jessica Simpson is an idiot. The Wintour is something else! And accounts of the Wintour eccentrics do warrant for bodyguards.

Girl Interrupted said...

The Stein, he can be the ultimate misogynist when he writes about women and fashion. And I couldn't better agree about Leo being a kitten and Jessica's idiocy. But can I share the MY in your MY George? =)

Anonymous said...

Sigh, I suppose I've accepted that a plethora of women (men, too, most likely) share our very good taste, bless his rugged chinny-chin-chin...

Girl Interrupted said...

Chinny chin chin, I like! Also the hair —— white? gray? silver?

Anonymous said...

Hee. To be similarly favored by time. He seems to look better now than he did when he was younger.