Nov 21, 2008

Vanity Issues and Recession Chic — NOT

Somebody please help me get a copy of the November issue of Vanity Fair
                              

I've practically scoured all bookstores I know but with no success. I've been having sleepless nights because of this. Seriously. I don't get how bookstores here can't be consistent with their magazine supply. One month they have it, the next they don't. Out of frustration I've decided to directly subscribe to Conde Nast for my Vogue and Vanity Fair issues. (Why didn't I think of this before?) Beginning next year I won't only  be assured of my monthly copies, I'll also enjoy at least 62% savings off the bookstore price. With the current economic crisis, what's not to love about money-saving deals?

Also on the saving front, my siblings and I are giving up our daily Starbucks habit in exchange for Dunkin Donuts. Kidding. The Dunkin Donuts part I mean. Yes, no more vanilla latte (a newfound love) fixes every day. I'll start the self-imposed ban after I get the planner for 2009. I need five more holes on the stamp card which means forcing my siblings one last time to order the required toffee nut latte. Yay! I can't wait.

Anyway, in anticipation of recession, next year will be all about taking the subway and bus instead of cabs, more home-cooked meals instead of eating out, less trip to the cleaners for items that can be washed at home, reading in bookstores instead of buying books, and spending only on necessities. Saving is clearly the new spending.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have this issue here, do you want me to mail it to you? Email me your full address and postal code.

babsie said...

not to worsen your frustration, I actually had two and I don't remember what I did with the other one! once you're subscribed, i think you can order back issues as well if you're really desperate Doris Day!

haaay! I'm actually practicing your money-saving plan of action right now -- have been doing so since the beginning of the end...hehehe my cooking skills have improved tremendously mind you. but i'll still give shopping its last hoorahs come black Friday and day after Christmas! hihi

said...

cannot relate...never read Vanity Fair before...

oh and as for Starbucks...one sticker to go na lang ako and i'm done with my fix for another year. lol!

Girl Interrupted said...

Laoda, salamat sa offer. Someone already got me a copy! Woohoo!!

Babs, I did inquire about back issues but their CS is so slow in their response. I don't need them now, hehe. Share naman your specialty. As for Christmas shopping, I'm not even doing any this year. :(

Clare, you should try reading VF. They have great writers and articles. So you're also getting the planner? I'm also one
drink shy of getting the prize!! Congrats to both of us! =D

said...

right now kasi i spend more on cooking magazines...parang si babs i'm trying to improve on my culinary skills din!

ShaLon said...

shoj, don't have vanity issues too coz i never read it but was able to take glimpse of the it's cover display in those magazine rack.
Do u need a bailout plan for the crisis? I guess everyone does hohoho. Cost saving is what we can do now, a penny save is a penny earned ~

Jill said...

Loved Amy Adams in Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day... although that role did remind me of a less Disney-esque, more parental-guidance-y Giselle. Nice screenplay adaptation and great casting: Frances McDormand! Ciaran Hinds! That female actor who's waaay older than us but still got to play [twelve-year-old] Moaning Myrtle in the Harry Potter movie franchise!

babsie said...

good for you! yes Clara, these fashion mags do have a little bit of substance =) but not necessary if you have other means naman liek the internet =)

my specialty is sinigang na baboy, and i add jalapeno peppers to make it spicy! =p

Girl Interrupted said...

Jill, I know most of Amy Adams' obscure movies, but not this one. I'll have that in mind on my next piracy trip! =D I looked up the Moaning Myrtle character and she, the Shirley Henderson, is indeed all of 37 years!! Unbelievable!

Babs, I love sinigang na baboy. All things sinigang actually. Make me some when you finally get to visit! :)

Anonymous said...

http://treschicmoi.blogspot.com/2008/12/from-our-family-to-yours.html

Anonymous said...

doris!!! i miss reading your blogs! =)

AziL® said...

you're so cute!!! :p